About a year ago I set up an air quality monitoring station based on the Air Quality Egg product by Wicked Device (see also my previous post on AQE). It was working during the winter season, providing real time data on PM2.5 concentrations near my house. This graph shows some of the data collected.
This worked OK, except that the data from the device were uploaded to Xively and available only from there. Xively was providing this service free as it was fulfilling an old commitment from one of their acquisitions. It was not high on their priority list and the service was frequently down. I decided to build my own device then to have full control over the process – from collecting the data to displaying them on a public web page. And to have some creative fun. The result works well (at least at the time of the writing) and cost less than $80 in materials, including a Raspberry Pi that I used. I think building a PM2.5 monitoring station in a way similar to what I describe below would make an excellent high school project.